The long-awaited successor to the Sony A7S II camera is now official. The new A7S III full frame mirrorless camera enjoys several “world firsts” as it targets the video market.
The new shooter features a 12 MP full-frame BSI CMOS sensor. It is capable of shooting videos in 4K with up to 120 frames per second, with Full HD at 240 fps. There’s built-in 5-axis stabilization, two memory card slots, and a 9.44m WXGA OLED Tru-Finder EVF with 0.90x magnification.
Sony has improved the body to be more ergonomic and more robust. It has improved resistance to dust and moisture as well as a larger handle, bigger buttons and a new REC button.
The standard ISO range is 80 to USO102400 and up to ISO 40 to ISO 409600 with 14 dynamic range values possible during still photography.
Sony claims that the new 12.1MP BSI CMOS sensor has improved noise performance and color reproduction over the previous generation. Over 15 dynamic range stops in video mode contribute to what Sony describes as the best 4K on the market.
Other video features include 10-bit HLG profile for HDR shooting, 16-bit RAW output, native ISO sensitivity in S-Log, HEVC H.265 encoding, new heat dissipation structure to keep the cool camera while shooting and 60% improved battery for up to 95 minutes of real recording time.
Pre-order offers on the new Sony A7S III
The new Sony Alpha A7S III can be pre-ordered now from Adorama at up to $ 200 off when it comes with a lens. Adorama Edge cardholders can also get an additional 5% refund or opt for interest-free financing when paid in full within 12 months with the store card.
Prices start at $ 3,498 for the digital camera body only, and the Sony A7S III is expected to ship on September 24. Adorama and B&H are both authorized Sony dealers.
Features of the Sony A7S III
- 12.1 Megapixel full-frame BSI CMOS sensor
- Up to 15+ dynamic stop ranges
- 9.44m QXGA OLED Tru-Finder EVF dots, 0.90x magnification (size may be reduced if too large)
- ISO40 to ISO409600
- 4K 120p, 10-bit, 4: 2: 2 recording
- All intra up to 600 Mbps
- FullHD 240p
- New S-Gamut3.Cine
- Fast hybrid AF in all recording situations
- Real-time eye AF (also in video), touch tracking
- 759 points phase detection AF 92% coverage
- 425 CDAF points
- Continuous shooting at 10 fps with AF / AE
- Variable-angle articulated touchscreen
- Two slots: Support UHS-II / CFexpress Type A SD card
- Z battery
- High speed sensor output, 2x fast compared to the A7S II
- Improved roller shutter, approx. 3x improved compared to the A7S II
- New BIONZ XR up to 8 times faster than BIONZ X
- Up to 15+ dynamic range stops (video)
- Red square “tally light” on / off displayed on the screen.