The great thing about Apple Pay is that it is classic “Apple”. Simple and elegant, it combines the technology you already have (an iPhone or iPad with Touch ID or Face ID, or an Apple watch) with a one-step payment process, all wrapped in watertight security that is more secure than traditional Chip and PIN.
Contents: How to use Apple Pay
what is Apple Pay
Apple Pay is a contactless payment technology for Apple devices. It is designed to take consumers away from physical wallets and to a world where your bank cards and credit cards are on your iPhone or Apple Watch so that you can pay with your device instead of a card.back to menu ↑
How does Apple Pay work?
Simply place the top of your iPhone screen near an NFC card terminal and place your finger on your phone’s Touch ID sensor. If you use an iPhone X, iPhone XS or other devices with Face ID, take a look at your phone.
But first, you have to set up Apple Pay, which is a fairly simple process. Here are the steps you must follow to activate this simple payment method.
Supported Apple Pay devices
Apple Pay is supported on most devices – iPhone models from the iPhone SE to the current iPhone 11 are supported and all Apple watches support Apple Pay. All recent iPads, from the current generation to the fifth-generation iPad, iPad Pro, iPad Mini 3 and 4, and the iPad Air 2 all work with Apple Pay. As for Macs, if your computer can run macOS Sierra or newer, you are ready to go.back to menu ↑
Banks that support Apple Pay
Apple Pay is supported by most financial institutions and credit card companies in the United States. Apple offers an up-to-date list of all financial institutions that accept Apple Pay.back to menu ↑
Stores, websites and applications that support Apple Pay
Apple Pay is supported by hundreds of brands and websites, including 7-Eleven, GameStop, Etsy, Staples, Fandango and more. You can find the current list of supported retailers here, or visit our extensive list of companies that accept Apple Pay here. You can also use Apple Pay with many third-party applications. You can view some of these applications here. If you buy apps or other digital items from Apple, you can of course still use Apple Pay to purchase music, movies, apps, books and more.back to menu ↑
Is there a limit for Apple Pay?
No. Unlike contactless card payments, which limit you to £ 30 spending, there is no limit for Apple Pay.
That means you can pay for your weekly store or refuel your car, all with your iPhone or Apple Watch.back to menu ↑
How to set up Apple Pay
You can add up to eight Apple Pay cards on your various supported devices. If you want to use Apple Pay with multiple devices, you must add your card information for each device separately.back to menu ↑
How to add maps to the iPhone and iPad
- Open the Wallet app on your iPhone. Go to Settings> Wallet and Apple Pay on your iPad. Tap the plus sign and then Continue to add your credit or debit card to Apple Pay. Add a credit or debit card.
- Place the card in the frame to add the card. The application automatically scans the front of your card for your number and saves it on the Card Details page. Tap Next.
- Use the scroll wheel to save the expiration date of your card and type the security code.
- Tap Next.
- The Add Card screen is displayed when Apple Pay contacts your bank to verify your card. When this is done, you will receive a page with General Terms and Conditions that you must agree to.
- The Add Card page and the Card Verification page appear one after the other with your e-mail address and telephone number.
- You have the choice to verify your card by telephone or to complete the verification later.
- You may be asked to contact your bank to complete the verification process. When verification is complete, press Next and you can use Apple Pay.
- A series of instructions appears to explain how to use Apple Pay with card readers. Press Continue.
- You can continue to add your card to your Apple Watch by pressing Add Now. If you do not want to add an Apple Watch, tap Done.
Set up Apple Pay on an iPhone or iPad
You must use the Apple Wallet application to set up Apple Pay on your iPhone or iPad. The Apple Wallet then stores your credit card and debit card and retrieves data when you authenticate Apple Pay to pay for goods.
Open the Wallet app on your iPhone. Go to Settings> Wallet and Apple Pay on your iPad. Tap Add a credit or debit card. You can use the camera of your device to store information about your credit card, debit card or card. Then enter the additional information if necessary.
Your bank will verify your information. You may need to provide additional verification, which may require you to call your bank or receive a text message with a unique code that you must enter. The process varies depending on the bank.
After your card has been verified, press Next and you can start using Apple Pay.back to menu ↑
How to set up Apple Pay on Apple Watch
To set up Apple Pay on Apple Watch, you must first open the Watch application on your iPhone. Make sure you are on the My Watch tab (bottom left)> scroll down to Wallet and Apple Pay> tap Add Card.
Just like on the iPhone, your bank will verify your information. You may need to provide additional verification again. You will receive a notification on your Apple Watch that your card is ready for Apple Pay.back to menu ↑
How do I use Apple Pay on the iPhone?
Apple Pay requires NFC (Near Field Communication) and Touch ID or Face ID on iPhone 6 and higher. This depends on the iPhone you need to start Apple Pay. Every transaction must be authorized by Touch ID, Face ID or your access code.
For iPhones with Touch ID, press the Touch ID start button twice and hold your finger on it until your screen says “Hold Near Reader.” If your fingerprint is not recognized, you can choose the “Pay with access code” option.
For iPhones with Face ID, press the sleep/wake button on the right side of your iPhone twice to start Apple Pay. Authorization takes place via Face ID, or you can choose the option “Pay with PIN” if your face is not recognized. Once the authorization has been granted, the display will again show “Keep the reader closed”.
As soon as your iPhone says “Hold Near Reader”, place your iPhone near a contactless terminal and a subtle vibration confirms the payment. A receipt is stored in the Wallet application so that you can see your latest transactions. It is not necessary to open an application or activate your iPhone screen to launch Apple Pay, regardless of the model of your iPhone.back to menu ↑
How to use Apple Pay with Watch
To start Apple Pay on your Apple Watch, double-click the button under the Digital Crown. Your standard payment card will appear on your Apple Watch screen with the words “Hold Near Reader to Pay” below, after which you can place your watch at the payment terminal and confirm a pulse and beep that your payment has been made.
As you scroll from right to left on your Apple Watch screen, you’ll see all the other cards you’ve registered.back to menu ↑
How to use Apple Pay in apps
Apple Pay is accepting a growing number of applications. You know whether you can use the service when you see the button during payment, or whether Apple Pay is one of the optional payment methods.
- To use your standard card, double-click the side button and hold your Apple Watch display within centimeters of the contactless reader.
- Wait until you feel a light tap.
Pay with a different card instead of your standard cardback to menu ↑
This is how you can exchange cards:
- iPhone X or newer: double-click the side button. When your default card appears, tap it and then tap to choose another card. Look at your iPhone to verify with Face ID and then hold the top of your device with the reader to pay.
- iPhone 8 or lower: hold your device at the reader without touching the Touch ID. When your standard card appears, touch it and touch to choose another card. Place your finger on Touch ID to pay.
- Apple Watch: double click on the side button. When your standard card appears, drag left or right to choose another card. Keep your watch with the reader to pay.
Pay on the web in Safari
With your iPhone, iPad, and Mac you can use Apple Pay to pay on the internet in Safari.5.6back to menu ↑
With your iPhone or iPad
- Press the Apple Pay button.
- Check your invoice, shipping, and contact details to check if they are correct. If you want to pay with a different card, tap next to your card.
- Enter your billing, shipping and contact details if necessary. Apple Pay stores this information, so you don’t have to enter it again.
- When you are done, complete your purchase and confirm the payment.
– iPhone X or higher or iPad with Face ID: double click on the side button and then use Face ID or your access code.
– iPhone 8 or earlier or iPad without Face ID: use Touch ID or your access code.
– Apple Watch: double click on the side button.
- When your payment is successful, you will see Done and a checkmark on the screen.
back to menu ↑back to menu ↑
Make a payment with Mac
It is almost the same as using Apple Pay on a MacBook Pro, except for some minor details.
- Log in to the same iCloud account as your iPhone, iPad or Apple Watch.
- Turn on Bluetooth so that your Mac can use any credit or debit card added to your iOS device or Apple Watch.
- Press the Buy with Apple Pay or Apple Pay button and then verify your information or change your card like on a MacBook Pro.
- Place your finger on the Touch ID sensor on your iPhone or double-click the Apple Watch side button to pay. When your payment is successful, you will receive a message and a checkmark.
Apple Cash is not available on macOS.back to menu ↑
With other Mac models
- You need an iPhone or Apple Watch to confirm payments. Make sure you are logged in on all your devices with the same Apple ID.
- Make sure that Bluetooth is enabled on your Mac.
- Tap the Apple Pay button.
- Check your invoice, shipping, and contact details to check if they are correct. If you want to pay with a different card instead of your standard card, click next to your standard card and select the card that you want to use. You can choose credit and debit cards or Apple Cash on any iPhone or Apple Watch that is connected to the same iCloud account nearby.
- Enter your billing, shipping and contact details if necessary. Apple Pay saves this information on your iPhone, so you don’t have to enter it again.
– When you are done, make your purchase and confirm the payment.
– iPhone X or newer: double-click the side button and then use Face ID or your access code.
– iPhone 8 or earlier: use Touch ID or your access code.
- Apple Watch: double click on the side button.
- When your payment is successful, you will see Done and a checkmark on the screen.
Is Apple Pay safe?
Yes, Apple has indicated that it does not store your transaction information or card numbers on its servers, although your last purchases are stored in the Wallet application.
Apple Pay, which has a token-based infrastructure, secures card payments by creating a number or token to replace your card details. In particular, it creates a device account number for each of your cards.
According to Apple, the device account number is assigned, encrypted and securely stored in the Secure Element, a special chip in iPhone and Apple Watch, and when a payment is initiated, the token is transferred to the retailer or seller. The retailer or seller therefore never has direct access to your card details.back to menu ↑
Take Walmart Apple Pay
If you want to make payments from your iPhone in Walmart, your only option is to download and use the Walmart application. It is unlikely that this will change soon, so we will explain below how to use Walmart Pay.
back to menu ↑back to menu ↑
Pay with iMessage
With modern iPhones, you can also send payments directly via iMessage. Simply tap the “A” symbol to the left of the text box in your conversation, and then tap the Apple Pay icon.
Then enter the amount you want to send and approve the payment.back to menu ↑
Apple Pay: What if you lose your iPhone or watch?
Losing your iPhone or watch is stressful enough, but with Apple Pay the chances of this happening are even more frightening.
Since every Apple Pay transaction must be authorized by your fingerprint, face, or access code, the person who finds your iPhone cannot pay without your access code. They can see your billing address and the last four digits of your saved cards, but no more than that.
Find My iPhone can be used from another iOS device to put your device in lost mode. This locks everything and prevents others from accessing your content, including Apple Pay or Wallet data. You can also use Find My iPhone to completely clean your iPhone.back to menu ↑
How you can check your transaction history in Apple Pay Wallet
You can check your recent transactions by opening the Wallet application. Initially, you only see the last transaction with a card. Tap the map and the ‘i’ icon to see more, and then tap the Transactions tab.
Walmart does not use Apple Pay. The only mobile payment system that you can use in Walmart is Walmart Pay, which is linked to a Walmart credit card, debit card, prepaid or gift voucher.
I hope you like the article to use Apple Pay. Please contact us if you have any questions.
Image and article credit: Apple