In addition to iOS 12, Apple has released an important update for HomePod that allows important functions to be used on other smart speakers. Siri on HomePod is now able to control multiple named timers – a staple feature of Amazon's Alexa-powered Echo – which is especially useful when cooking or tracking time.
HomePod also offers the possibility to ping your lost iPhone, make and receive phone calls and fully support Siri Shortcuts. HomePod could previously be used as a speakerphone for calls, but only after you had called or responded to the iPhone and re-transmitted the audio.
9to5Mac Happy Hour
Here is the complete list of new features now on HomePod:
- Search for lyrics: In addition to asking Siri to play a certain song, artist or genre, it is now easy to ask Siri to "play the song that goes like that …" or ask Siri for "the song that is going to play ". I am a rebel only for kicking now. & # 39; "1
- Set multiple timers: HomePod now supports multiple named timers. Set a timer for the cake, another for lasagne and another as a reminder to dim the lights – with only your voice.
- Call and receive phone calls: Use HomePod conveniently to make and receive calls for clear and clear sound quality. To call, just ask Siri to call someone from Contacts or say the number you want to call. Incoming calls are automatically forwarded from the iPhone to HomePod – just ask Siri to answer the phone – and for missed calls it's as easy as asking: "Hey Siri, who just called?" With the audio picker on the iPhone, calls can be moved HomePod to iPhone at any time.
- Find my iphone: The popular Apple feature comes to HomePod, allowing users to ping their devices in the neighborhood to find them.
- Siri quick couplings: Shortcuts opens a world of apps to work on HomePod. While Siri teaches routines and & # 39; shortcuts & # 39; presents on iPhone and iPad, the same shortcuts are now available on HomePod. Personalizing shortcuts for HomePod with a range of tasks is easy with a new Shortcuts app. For exle, "Hey Siri, good morning" can do a morning routine and order coffee in the app of a coffee shop, switch on the kitchen lighting from the Home app and share the first few appointments for the day – all with one simple, customizable assignment.
HomePod also receives support for more languages in more regions, including "Spanish in the US, Spain and Mexico, and extends Canadian support with Canadian French." HomePod is currently being sold in the US, UK, Australia, Canada, France and Germany. Next month, HomePod will also be sold in Mexico and Spain.
Earlier HomePod software updates introduced support for linking two HomePods in stereo mode, AirPlay 2 display with Siri on other devices, calendar support and more.
HomePod is automatically updated automatically or you can start the software update immediately by going to the Home app on iPhone, iPad or Mac to manually check for software updates.